Biography of Whitby Pastel Artist Keith Blessed
Hello I am Keith Blessed I am a UK pastel artist based in the Cellar Gallery, Grape Lane, Whitby. My medium is pastels and I mainly use pastels from Unison Colour. I have been dedicated to improving my pastel techniques for the past 10 years and I am passionate about promoting the use and understanding of the pastel medium, which I think is very underrated. Pastel paintings are produced by using pure pigment, this means that paintings done using pastels will not fade over time and will be as vibrant as they are now some 100 years in the future. For an example of this you only have to look at the works of Edgar Degas, one of the french impressionists, and indeed any famous artists from that period who used pastels..
I primarily paint seascapes and landscapes around the North East coast and moors, trying to evoke the ever changing moods and atmosphere of this part of the country. This is demonstrated by the dramatic sunrises, sunsets, stormy skies, and seascapes, that are a particular favourite of mine, the quality of light being an inspiration with contrasting light and shadow being displayed in vibrant detail.
I was born in Doncaster in 1953. I began work in hospital pathology labs before spending 20 years in the pharmaceutical industry. In 2001 I took early retirement and moved to the picturesque seaside town of Whitby, on the North Yorkshire Coast. I have always had an artistic nature, but it was not until I moved to Whitby that it began to take full rein. A friend introduced me to pastels, with which I found great affinity, and it is now my preferred medium of choice. I am self-taught although I have had a lot of encouragement and guidance from members of the Whitby art scene. In my paintings I like to develop atmospheric effects, particularly moody , storm swept skies.. I also like the interplay of light on surfaces, and like strong light and shadows in my paintings. The North Yorkshire coast with its quaint fishing villages, such as Staithes and Robin Hood’s Bay has inspired me to produce some fabulous works of art.
Now available to do demonstrations and workshops in soft pastels.
New Exhibitions 2020
- 10th/11th/12th/13th April, Saint Marys Church Sandsend
- 27th/28th, June Whitby Art Fair, Whitby Pavilion
- 12th/13th September, Staithes Festival of Art
Previous Exhibitions of pastel paintings
- Pastel Society of Ireland
- Pastel Society of Australia
- Local and North Yorkshire, Pannett Park, Whitby
- East Coast Open, Scarborough
- Kirkleatham Hall and Museum, Kirkleatham, Cleveland
- Great Sheffield Art Show, Sheffield
- Gallery 49, Bridlington
- Pierrepoint Gallery, Thoresby Park, Nottinghamshire
- Grape Lane Gallery, Whitby
- Breast Cancer Awareness Exhibition, Memorial Hall, Pickering
- Ferens Open Exhibition 2010, Hull
- Whitby Art Society Annual Exhibition. April 30th – May 19th 2010, Pannett Art Gallery, Whitby
- Chapel Gallery, Hawes